How to become an Australian Citizen
If you are a permanent resident of Australia, you have the option to apply to become an Australian citizen which will allow you to live and work freely in Australia.
There are 3 ways to become an Australian Citizen. These are:
- By birth: If you are born in Australia or one or both of your parents are Australian citizens or permanent resident.
- By descent:If you are born overseas but one of your parents in an Australian citizen, you can be granted Australian citizenship.
- By grant: If you are a non-citizen of Australia but have lived in Australia for a minimum of 4 years, and a minimum of 12 months as a permanent resident.
Australian Citizenship Requirements
There are several minimum requirements you must meet to become an Australian Citizen.
The requirements for Australian citizenship are:
- You are an Australian permanent resident.
- You are over 16 years of age.
- You have lived in Australia for a minimum of four years, including 12 months as a permanent resident
- Are of good character
- You have successfully completed and passed the Australian citizenship test.